Monday, November 9, 2009

Thank-a-Thon Blog Contest Entry

Sorry for the long absence, since deciding not to post anymore pictures I've been rather in the dumps. I need to get a dress makers form so I can photograph it and post the pictures. But, until that happens, hopefully I can entertain you with my entry for the Mod-Cloth Thank-a-Thon Blog Contest:

I've heard people ask, 'how close can you be with someone you met online?' The answer: very close.
'I think it is so nice that you blog together! I always wnated a best friend like that, one I could do about everything with. Perhaps you can stop by and see my blog. I am reading through yours so I can get to know you better, that is why I may commit more then once.
For now I bid thee both adieu, Maiden Capitola'
For as long as I can remember I have wanted an older sister; but on November 13, 2007, when I clicked on the profile of the above commenter, and found out that she was 20 years old, I never would have guessed that she would be my SOS - my sweet older sister.

I was thirteen then, and very immature. The idea of being friends with anybody more than three years difference in age was utterly and completely beyond my realm of thought. What in the world can I have in common with a 20 year old? I wondered. Now, almost two years later exactly - I'm still wondering that.

Heather - for that is her real name - and I are almost total opposites. I'm tall; she's short. I love fashion and make up; she doesn't. She loves snow September though May; I'm wishing it would melt by early January. She thinks anything above %20 is humid; I don't even notice it until it gets above %80! She loves adventure books; I love sweet romances.
And yet, for all our differences, we get along splendidly, and the majority of all our quarrels are only in jest.

She's not the older sister I thought I wanted; I always imagined my older sister (if I had one) to love fashion. I would borrow her clothes, and she would do my hair and make up for me. Heather lives three states away, so there's no borrowing of clothes, and she hates make-up, so I have to practically force her to let me put it on her - but I know that if I had the older sister I always imagined I wouldn't love her half as well as I love Heather, and we probably wouldn't get along half as well.

So this Tuesday before Thanksgiving I am going to run up to Heather the minute I see her at the train station, throw my arms around her, and give her a big hug - just like I did the last time I saw her. We're going to run around and be crazy together again, and at the end of the day we're going to snuggle up on the couch to watch movies together instead of texting like we usually do before bed. And on Thanksgiving day I'm going to thank God for sending Heather my way - just like I do everyday.

1 comment:

  1. You're back! I've missed your posts. The day you've planned with your friend sounds wonderful. Sounds like she really is a wonderful part of your life.

    ReplyDelete